Since my first foray into tofu burgers, I’ve been playing around with a lot of recipes;- with breadcrumbs, without; with egg, without; with firm tofu, with silken tofu. And with that, comes several things I’ve picked up about tofu burger patties:-
1. Forget about the silken tofu. Save that for a chocolate mousse or a tofu brownie, and go firm tofu (or tau kwa) all the way.
2. It’s tempting, but try not to drop an egg into the mixture. That way, not only will you have a perfect meatless monday meal, you can safely serve it for vegan vednesdays as well. Okay, I totally made that up, but you get me.
3. Opt instead to pair tofu with vegetables like grated carrot and shredded zucchini, as well as black beans or pinto beans, to act as a natural binder, and added nutrients and flavour.
4. Season, season, season. Tofu’s pretty bland, which makes it a great vehicle for all sorts of flavours and spices waiting to burst on your palate.
5. Dry your tofu. The one I used here did not come in water, so it was perfect, but for regular versions, don’t skip the drying part, as tofu can contain a lot of moisture which will make your patties crumbly.
Carrot Tofu Patties
(makes 4 – 6 patties)
1 block extra-firm tofu (about 200g)
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
1/2 teaspoon salt, or 1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder / paprika
1/4 cup breadcrumbs, plus more for coating
cheddar slices (optional)
Pat the tofu dry with a paper towel for at least 10 minutes. In a mixing bowl, mash the tofu well using a fork or potato masher. Add in the carrot, seasonings and breadcrumbs till well-combined.
By food processor:-
Pat the tofu dry with a paper towel for at least 10 minutes. In a food processor, simply blitz the tofu, carrot and seasonings until a smooth paste is formed. Stir in the breadcrumbs.
Form 4-6 patties, according to your desired size, then coat generously with breadcrumbs. Heat some oil over medium low heat in a non stick pan and shallow fry until golden on both sides. Top with a cheddar slice immediately. Enjoy on its own, or in a burger.