There is always that point in the day when everything seems to be on hold, as you catch what feels like your first breather, watching the world whirl around you in a fashionable slow-motioned gaussian blur, with barely audible murmurs wafting in the background. And just for that split second, your head feels light and afloat, almost fuzzy-like, whilst the depths of your heart feels somewhat heavy, not with grief nor sadness, but beaming much too full with the weight of gratitude to the life you have before you. At times it’s the little reminders you get from reading a news article on a fatal tragedy marring an otherwise perfect family picture; some days it’s scrolling through the plenty of photos you’ve snapped on your phone, reminiscing each antic-filled memory that came with it; other times it’s simply catching the gaze of a loved one in the midst of doing something absolutely nondescript like washing the piled up dishes in the sink.
True, that moment may not come every day, particularly on less-than-sunshiny days when even the thought of taking a breather may seem too much of a hassle. But it never fails to surprise me how the simplest of things, and perhaps even the most inexplicable at that, could bring a gentle smile to a person with the least proclivity to proclaim love;– yes, I’m giving the stink-eye to all you ‘FML’ kids out there.
And somewhere at the top of the list of things that
should would make anyone’s day possibly better, or at the very least a tad more bearable, is the much-loved, but oft-overlooked chocolate chip cookies. Sure, everyone ultimately has their own smorgasbord of iffy-ness when it comes to their preference of chocolate chip cookies (not unlike the huge cakey-versus-fudgy brownies debate) but offer a chocolate chip cookie to anyone [not on a diet], and I do believe he/she will eat it, bar none. And if it so happens that the person you’ll be offering it to proudly dons the badge of the chewy camp, then make these. And be prepared to either get an indecent proposal, or have your cooling rack completely wiped out barely minutes after each batch leaves the oven, or both.
Best Ever Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
(adapted from here)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks / chips
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 325°F. Grease or line your cookie sheets.
- Sift the flour and baking soda together and set aside.
- Mix the sugars and melted butter just until thoroughly mixed, then add egg, yolk and vanilla and mix until creamy.
- Add the sifted ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks/chips, then drop dough a bit less than 1/4 cup at a time on a cookie sheet, about 3 inches apart, and bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies.
- Leave them on the cookie sheet to cool for a few minutes, then remove the cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Makes 16-25 cookies, depending on their size.