Eggless Tiramisu Charlotte
(makes an 8-inch round; adapted from here)
For the espresso syrup:
2 tbsp coffee powder
1 cup boiling water
1 tbsp sugar
For the filling:
250g mascarpone cheese
3 tbsp icing sugar
1 cup thickened cream
about 24 Savoiardi sponge fingers
drinking chocolate powder
- Make the espresso syrup by dissolving the coffee and sugar in the boiling water. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the mascarpone cheese with the icing sugar until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- In another bowl, whisk the thickened cream until soft peak (do not overmix). With a spatula, fold in the thickened cream into the cheese mixture gradually in three additions.
- Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round springform pan with baking paper.
- One at a time, dip the sponge finger into the prepared espresso syrup for about 1-2 seconds, then layer the bottom of your pan with the sponge fingers. (Note: Don’t worry about the gaps, it will be covered by the cream later) Do not dip all of the sponge fingers; only enough to layer the cake with.
- Sprinkle a layer of drinking chocolate powder on the sponge layer, covering all the sponges.
- Then spoon over a layer of the filling, making sure that all the gaps are covered, and the entire surface is covered. Repeat the layering process sponge-chocolate-filling, and top it off with a light dusting of the chocolate powder. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- For the finishing touch, remove the tiramisu from the springform pan and trim the leftover sponge fingers (not soaked in the syrup) to your desired height, and line the circumference of the tiramisu. Secure with a decorative ribbon, and you’re done!