The procrastinating monster in me found itself suddenly bombarded with garbagetruckloads of work to be completed in record time. Amidst editing the short film project, doing the write-up for the cinematic project, and attempting to revise for the test tomorrow, I sought solace in a fuss-free recipe for me to munch away.
I thought of cupcakes. But I didn’t feel cake-y inside.
I thought of cookies. But I didn’t want to spend that much time away from work.
I thought of doughnuts. But I wanted something bite-sized and not so indulgent.
Then I thought no further, and came up with this.
They were just perfect. The chocoholic in me growled for more Nutella, but this was the perfect quick[munch]fix I needed to stop the stomach from growling, the hands from itching, and the mind from procrastinating.
Almond Nutella Swirl Bars
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
sliced almonds1. Beat the sugar and butter. Add in eggs one at a time. Add in vanilla.
2. Beat in the flour.
3. Divide the batter in two. Spread half onto a square baking dish.
4. Bake at 160C for 15-20 mins, until golden brown.
5. While warm, spread Nutella.
6. Spread the other half of the batter on top of the Nutella layer.
7. Swirl in about a teaspoon of Nutella into the batter with a knife. Sprinkle with almonds.
8. Bake for 30-35 mins, until golden brown.
I’m glad that the recipe worked out well. Since it’s practically customisable, I can’t wait to tweak it further and try other spreads/jam to go with it.