How do you celebrate the birthday of a self-professed cheese-loving comic book geek who just turned a quarter of a century?
1) With a bag filled with cards and gifts. Why have one card, when you can have gift tags attached to every present, with clues on one side, and your personalised message on the other?
2) With the whole Super Mario gang (Yoshi not included). Toys are a must, and since the birthday boy had been eyeing the Mario gang as of late, why not bring them to the party?
3) With home-cooked food; deep-fried chicken fillet and potato salad. But of course, don’t forget to bring cutlery as well, or you’d be reduced to attempting to use the chicken fillet as spoons for the salad, thereafter giving up, and using your fingers.
4) With a virginal cheese attempt at macaroni and cheese [ignoring the fact that it's the first time ever that you've willingly touched cheese and actually dared to cook with it, and that the only way you can gauge if it's done is by the level of nausea you feel; "the more nauseous I feel, the better it is for him"]. And henceforth heave a sigh of relief that your life-long worries were over, and that the birthday boy really seemed to enjoy it, while you try to maintain a smile and keep a safe distance from the cheese breath.
5) With a Superman cake, of course! All comic book geeks deserve a home-baked Superman cake, albeit it is pretty apparent from the uneven layering and creases that it is the baker’s first attempt at fondant/sugar-crafting. But hey, it’s the thought that counts, and in this case, it’s the *cough cough* scream upon opening the cake lid that counts. ;)
First-Timers’ Macaroni and Cheese
(recipe adapted from the lovely sis-in-law)
4 handfuls of macaroni
1 can of cream mushroom chicken soup
1 cup milk
several slices of cheese
- Boil macaroni al dente. Set aside.
- Heat up soup in a saucepan.
- Add in milk.
- Before it boils, add in cheese, shredded. Mix well. Allow it to thicken.
- Add in salt, pepper, and paprika powder to taste.
- Pour in macaroni and mix well. Turn off heat.
p/s: Happy 25th birthday, dearest mister. I hope you enjoyed the celebration :)