When Mary asked, in the latest SHF event, what our ideal tropical paradise would be like, I knew mine would definitely be with specks of white sand between my toes, with the shadows of 45-degree coconut trees painted before me, swaying in the gentle breeze. And since I can’t lose myself in the blue skies of Palawan beach, complete with the stray peacocks in their myriad of colours walking my path, I opt for the easier form of escapism.
A slice of this pie is sure to send you packing for your tropical fantasy, even while it’s still in the oven. The smell of the coconut pie shell promises something decadent and refreshing. The crust is rich with dessicated coconut, and the mashed peaches provide the right sweet balance you need for the extra crunchy bits of coconut. This is one of those comfort foods I can never turn down, even after a heavy meal.
Peach-Coconut Crumble Pie
120g dessicated coconut
1 can of peach
1 tsp salt
250g plain flour
- Melt butter, sugar and salt.
- Pour butter mixture into coconut, and stir.
- Pour in the flour, and stir until it forms a dough. Divide into two.
- Press one part of the dough into a pie/tart tin. Bake at 190C for 15mins.
- Remove the baked shell from the oven, and pour in the peaches. Cover the peaches sparsely with the other part of the dough, sprinkling the crumbles over the top.
- Bake at 190C for 25-30mins.